27 February 2008

from the office walls...

well, as i'm leavin' town i have to clean out my office. here are the quotes i've been looking at for the last three-odd years that are now comin' down:
*****
Another Postponement of Destruction
Banging out the kitchen door, I kicked
before I saw it a thick glass baking dish
I'd set outside for dogs the night before.
It skidded to the top step, teetered, tipped
into an undulating slide from step
to step, almost stopped halfway down, then lunged
on toward concrete, and I froze to watch it
splinter when it hit. Instead, it kissed
the concrete like a skipping stone, and rang
to rest in frost-stiffened grass. Retrieving it,
I suddenly felt my neck-cords letting go
of something like a mask of tragedy.
I washed the dish and put it in its place,
then launched myself into a rescued day.
*henry taylor
------------------------
"We are running a school here. Not a gymnasium. Not a....a....a...roller derby. And certainly not a Model U.N.," Van Heise said. "I've got the same advice for all of them: sit down, shut up, and you'll be out of here in four years."
*the Onion, 'Principle Hates Underachievers, Overachievers'
-------------------------
In America when the sun goes down and I sit on the old broken-down river pier watching the long, long skies over New Jersey and sense all that raw land that rolls in one unbelievable huge bulge over to the West Coast, and all that road going, all the people dreaming in the immensity of it...and nobody, nobody knows what's going to happen.
*Jack Kerouac
-----------------------
To compose our character is our duty, not to compose books, and to win, not battles and provinces, but order and tranquility in our conduct. Our great and glorious masterpiece is to live appropriately...the most certain sign of wisdom is cheerfulness.
*Michel de Montaigne
------------------------
I only know that I will maintain what I believe to be true in my own universe, and as an individual I will give in to nothing.
* A. Camus
------------------------
Wilderness is good for the soul. Fight with all that you are to protect it.
------------------------
Painting of Jesus Totally Knows Area Man Is High
*from the Onion
------------------------
Wage Peace
------------------------

No comments: